Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Running like the wind

As some may know, I am training for my first marathon. Prior to this i had never really ran more than 7 or 8 miles at one time. But two weeks ago i ran 16 without any real problem and hope to do 20 this weekend with similar results. My marathon goal was originally to break 4 hours, but honestly after my first training run I knew that I had to adjust that goal a little bit. To break 4 hours i would have had to maintain a 9 minute mile which didn't seem too bad, or at least not to someone who had only run about 8 consecutive miles prior to this. Averaging a 10 minute mile, however, will put me at about 4 hours and 26 minutes. This is my new goal and I still feel as though it will be respectable.

It blows my mind that olympic marathon runners average around a 5 minute and change per mile. I couldn't even do one mile at that speed.

Two days ago I did a quick 6 mile run after work. Firstly, I feel like it's a big deal that I now refer to such as a "quick" run. Before 6 milked was normally my limit and i felt like it was a big deal if I did that. What's crazy is that it really does seem quick now. Well my run two days ago felt awesome. I even surprised myself. I averaged 8:30 per mile, which is slow for the running world but fast for my world. What was crazy was that i was able to maintain that speed without really exerting too much. It was the first time in a long time that I actually felt fast, which again was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment