Tuesday, March 15, 2011

We're going to Michigan!!!

So the dramatic saga of my residency application process has come to a close. I am doing Emergency Medicine at St. Mary Mercy Hospital in Livonia, Michigan. For those of you who are not familiar with this vacation hot spot, it is about 25 minutes west of Detroit. I'm hoping that maybe I can hang out with Eminem while we live there, Heather would be stoaked.

This whole process has been horrible, and that is coming from someone (me) who generally considers themself pretty easy going. It seems to be unnecessarily long and expensive. As of last night I was in the situation of not matching into an Emergency program and having to settle for a one year intern spot at a less than desireable program. But this morning I recieved a call from the Program Director in Livonia who said that they had had a spot open up and that it was mine if I wanted it. I am going to be an Emergency Medicine doctor!!! It's official.

I am excited, but also nervous about our move. I know that it will be a tough transition for Heather and I, however I am confident that we will get through this and come out better because of it. The program is 4 years and I'm sure that will fly by and we will be back in California before we know it.

Let me take this time to say how grateful I am to be married to Heather. She is an absolutely amazing and supporting wife. I definintely would not have been able to get through the last 4 years if it were not for her. I know that this move will be a challenge for her, but I also know that she is going to find a great job and excell at it. And in 4 years she will probably not want to move. I recognize the sacrifice that she is making for me and I promise to her that it will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Dangit! I was so rooting for Chicago! Weekend meet-up for movie releases!

    ReplyDelete